There are only a couple of car gatherings in the world which can come close to the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este for extravagance as the event plays host to the most rare, most celebrated, and most coveted cars in the world.
Famous for being staged on Lake Como and set against the Grand Hotel Villa d’Este amongst the wealthy of northern Italy, only the most discerning show or enter their vehicles. This is next level and then some.
Taking place between Friday 24th May and Sunday 26th May 2019 the organisers have themed the event this year around ‘The Symphony of Engines – 90 Years of the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este & BMW Automobiles’. Having experienced the 1M engine for a year I can attest to the spine tingling nature of BMW’s in-line sixes!
Those entering their vehicles to be judged will be done so through the following categories this year:
- Goodbye Roaring Twenties: The Birth of the Concorso
- Fast Forward: A Quarter Century of Progress
- Small and perfectly formed: The Coachbuilder’s Art in Miniature
- A new Dawn: Into the Rock ’n’ Roll Era
- Swinging Sixties: The Sky’s the Limit
- Baby You Can Drive My Car: Musical Stars’ Cars
- Speeding Against the Clock: Endurance Racing Legends
- Daring to Dream: Concepts which rocked the Motoring World
The much coveted prize of the BMW Group Trophy will be awarded to ‘an extraordinary automobile which expresses beauty, passion and uniqueness’.
Thankfully it’s not all up to the judges as the general public will also get to choose their favourite on the Saturday with the winner taking home the Coppa d’Oro Villa d’Este prize.
Historic motorcycles also have a place at Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este with 2019 organising six classes for entry.
- Still in Action: Motorcycles more than 100 Years Old
- Sound and Style: The New Motorcycles of 1929
- Promenade Percy: Sportsman’s Wear
- 50 Years Ago: Trendsetters for Future Success
- Two-Wheeled Guards: To Protect and To Serve
- Concept Bikes: New Design and Prototypes by Manufacturers and Independents
As of writing only the public tickets remain available, all other tickets have been sold out.